Thursday, November 16, 2017

Drying Her Feet


If you live long enough in this life it's inevitable that you will bump head-on into a memory and suddenly you are transported back to that time...that place...


This happened to me last night as I stepped out of the shower.  I got to my feet and I heard it just as if the voice was there in my bathroom...."don't forget to dry my feet Lesa".  That voice inside my head was my dear mama some 11 years ago as I was giving her a bath one morning.  This feisty 68 year old lady was suffering from the effects of Pancreatic Cancer.  My sisters and sister in law (Lord bless her soul) all took turns staying with mama around the clock.  I quit my job so that I could be with her knowing fully well that she would not be here with us for very long.  So my shift was the morning shift.  I came in to get her feeding bag started....check her vitals....administer any medications....give her a hot shower....and fix her hair. (yes...mama wanted her hair fixed everyday.  She said it was "normal" for her and anything "normal" is welcomed when you are dealing with a sickness). 

One spring morning as I was drying her off I began to hum (Honestly some days it was all I could do to prevent the tears.).  My mama loved music....I remember many days as a young girl gathering around the organ or the piano to listen to mama play.  It was a common thing especially around the holidays when family and friends were over. 

So as I was drying her off I started humming the old hymn, "I Love to Tell the Story".  I didn't really know that mama was even listening to me until suddenly she started singing the song that I was humming....and low and behold the bathroom ended up being a mini concert with my singing 2nd soprano and mama harmonizing with her beautiful alto voice.
 "I love to tell the story...
will be my theme in glory....
to tell the old old story....of Jesus and His love"
It was a simple thing that day...
       just an old hymn....
                   in a bathroom....
                              after a shower....
                                     while drying her feet

No comments: