Thursday, November 20, 2008

"Trust"



Gadgets.....we use these tools everyday....we trust them to work...everyday. Like for instance, I am so reliant upon gadgets in my daily life...the other day a friend of mine reminded me of a time at church when I was running around after church looking for my 14 year old to tell him that I was ready to leave and go home. I didn't realize what I was doing, until I found myself calling his name and pressing my remote to the car simultaneously ...pretty bad, if I say so myself! I guess I thought that if I pressed the remote to my car, my fourteen year old would "beep" to let me know where he was. Now that my friends is called "reliant" on gadgets and technology....needless to say...it didn't work...but my friend sure got a kick out of it...and I felt as though I had a "duh" moment, or "blonde" moment...please no jokes!


Seriously speaking, I have been reminded a few times this week about the issue of trust. So many people are putting their trust in people and in things that are going to fail them. As you can see, I have been guilty of putting too much trust in gadgets and in people as well. Many have put their trust and their hope in our new president elect. But he is human and he will fail. It will happen, because he wears a suit of flesh and with that comes frailty that causes mistakes and errors. But this isn't about politics...this is about trust....trusting in Something that cannot fail us.


I have been directed this week to the Psalms. I write in my Bible....makes it hard to purchase a new one once the old one wears out! But I write things that come to my mind in the margins, or I remember special times or events when God led me to a certain scripture. One special place that I have placed a lot of ink marks is found in Psalm chapter 20. Next to this chapter I have written on the side ~ "Praying earnestly for Drew's healing" ..


Drew is my oldest son, a freshman now at Clemson University. He was born with several birth defects, and although this caught us all by surprise, none of it was a surprise to God. Long story short, one of the issues that Drew has is a very curved vertebrae called scoliosis. When he turned 18, Shriners had to make a decision to either fuse bones in his back, or hope that he had stopped growing and leave well enough alone. At 18 I didn't want him to have surgery. The recovery would be harsh and he would be "fused" and movement that he was used to having would be halted. So I began to seek God and pray about it. God led me to this chapter...and it caused me to be strengthened in my spirit. The greatest part of this chapter to me is the beginning and the ending of this chapter....it says ~


"May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble. May the name of the God of Jacob set you up on high (and defend you)."


and the ending~


"Some trust in and boast of chariots and some of horses, but we will trust in and boast of the name of the Lord our God. They are bowed down and fallen but we are risen and stand upright. O Lord give victory, let the king answer us when we call."


Now when you get this revelation, it doesn't necessarily mean that your trial is over, but to me it is was just "added fuel" to continue the walk. Many days that followed this trial I did invite the enemy into my playground....called my mind. And he did spread doubt and fear. But then I would hear that scripture ring back from the depths of my spirit....some trust in chariots Lesa.....but you, my daughter....trust in Me....trust in My way....trust that it is perfect ...and that My plans for Drew are for good and not for evil....to give him and future and a hope"


The ending? Well we didn't have to go through the surgery. Although he still has a severe curve, it is not severe enough to have a surgery of this magnitude. I was deeply thankful to God and His Word for sustaining me through this trial.


We have a lot of things, gadgets, and people that we trust in. We have jobs that we trust in....we have vehicles that we trust will get us home after a long days work....we have spouses we trust in....pastors we trust in....but God's Word is clear....He is the ONLY ONE in which we can place our truest trust and hope. He is all-knowing, all-seeing, all-powerful, and he is in love with us.


And the best news....


We don't have to press our remote to find Him....He is already there.........skeptical???


Go ahead, pick up His Word....Call on Him.....


CALL unto Me and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know."Jeremiah 33:3
Blessings!


No comments: